We are excited to launch a new IPI Global Network initiative to host virtual newsroom visits for a world-wide IPI audience of newsroom leaders. This series brings you inside our members’ newsrooms to discuss with them the strategies they have developed and what has worked.
We want to share the lessons that newsroom leaders are learning as they navigate through the digital transformation. It’s about levelling up the floor of the industry’s understanding and knowledge and creating opportunities for newsroom wisdom to flow between countries and continents, and for niche digital expertise, on everything from business models, product and audience, to new journalism formats, to be shared so we are all able to do the best journalism we can for our communities.
Get ready to meet the people who are leading some of the most innovative newsrooms, hear how they innovate with solutions to the challenges we all face and swap insights with colleagues around the world.
NEWSROOM VISITS PROGRAMME
FOR APRIL/MAY 2021
(more information about the event format and registration available below ↓)
- Tuesday, May 11 at 10 AM CEST / 8 AM UT (check your local time here)
Topics covered: Engaging young audiences, growing reader revenues (memberships), issues driven journalism, mission driven journalism. Hosted by:
* Virginia P. Alonso, Editor-in-Chief
Público is a Spanish online newspaper. It was published as a print daily newspaper between 2007 and 2012 before transitioning wholly online.
- Tuesday, April 27 at 10 AM CEST / 8 AM UTC (check your local time here)
Topics covered: Product innovation, reaching new audiences with new products like daily podcasts, design sprints for new markets. Hosted by:
* Sigrun Albert,Chief Product Officer
* Silvia Di Gianfrancesco, Head of User Experience
* Eva Günther, Head of Innovation Management
* Alexander Mühlbach, Product Manager Newsletters/Podcast
* Manuel Maisch, Innovations Manager
The Neue Zürcher Zeitung is a Swiss, German-language daily newspaper, published by NZZ Mediengruppe in Zürich. It passed 200,000 paying subscribers late last year which it credited to its quality journalism and its digital pay model.
- Friday, April 16 at 10 AM CEST / 8 AM UTC (check your local time here)
Topics covered: Digital transition, reader revenues and engaging young audiences. Hosted by:
* Trine Eilertsen, Editor-in-Chief
* Karl Oskar Teien, Product Manager
- Wednesday, April 7 at 2 PM CEST / 12 noon UTC (check your local time here)
Topics covered: Growing reader revenues, newsletters, innovating with “solutions journalism” for audience engagement and loyalty. Hosted by:
The Monitor is a US-based international non-profit news organization that delivers thoughtful, global coverage daily online and weekly in a print magazine.
Number of participants
We’ll open these virtual newsroom visits to a small group of around 15 newsroom leaders, each working through their own digital transition challenges, for a broad conversation with the host organization about how we are facing up to the challenges of the moment.
Editors, publishers and journalists, and those with roles in innovation, product, audience and leadership.
Who can participate?
Tours are open to everybody, but given the limited number of places available, IPI members will be given priority.
* 10 tickets will be reserved for IPI members, and will be available on a first come, first served basis.
* 5 tickets will be open for all other editors, publishers and journalists.
Each visit will last approximately 75 minutes and there will be ample time for open conversation and questions.
Zoom, meeting format.
You are welcome to register and attend several tours, but due to limited number of tickets and due to high demand – “first-time visitors” will be given priority.
Registration deadline: 2 days before the tour date.