The International Press Institute (IPI) will hold its 2018 annual World Congress in Abuja, Nigeria from 21 to 23 June, 2018. Under the theme “Why Good Journalism Matters”, the World Congress will affirm the indispensable role of quality media in building strong societies, showcasing investigative stories and projects that bring positive change to individuals and communities in Africa and around the world.
With rapidly growing economies, turbulent political transitions and an increasingly tech-savvy population, Africa is experiencing major changes and the African media scene in no less dynamic. This year’s Congress, hosted in Africa’s most populous country and one of its most innovative media landscapes, will also provide a unique opportunity to talk and learn about these changes.
Our programme is available at www.ipiworldcongress.com.
IPIWoCo 2018 Highlights
• Opening address by Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari
• IPI’s Africa Media Forum, featuring invaluable insight from top media professionals, experts and thinkers from Nigeria and the rest of Africa on the future of a rapidly changing continent
• Our host country, Nigeria, is Africa’s most populous country and home of one of the continent’s fastest-growing and most exciting media landscapes
• The IPI World Congress is hosted by a large group of influential Nigerian publishers and editors from leading media houses including This Day, the Daily Trust and many others.
Confirmed Speakers (so far):
- Virginia Pérez Alonso, Editor-in-Chief, Público, Spain
- Anas Aremeyaw Anas, famous undercover reporter, Tiger Eye Foundation, Ghana
- Muhammadu Buhari, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
- Joan Chirwa, Editor-in-Chief, The Mast, Zambia
- John Daniszewski, Vice President, Standards, Editor at Large, The Associated Press, USA
- Funke Egbemode, President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors, Nigeria
- Michael Slackman, International Editor, The New York Times, USA
- Roukaya Kasenally, CEO, African Media Initiative (AMI)
- Rafael Marques de Morais, Founder and Director, Maka Angola, Angola
- Tom Mshindi, Editor-in-Chief, Nation Media Group PLC, Kenya
- Trevor Ncube, Chairman, Alpha Media Holdings (AMH), Zimbabwe
- Dapo Olorunyomi, Publisher, Premium Times, Nigeria
- Mostefa Souag, Acting Director General, Al-Jazeera Media Network, Qatar