Ahmed Al-Shaibani, Yemen

Journalist Ahmed al-Shaibani, who worked for the independent Yaman News website and the state-run Yemen TV, was gunned down on Feb. 16, 2016 while covering ongoing clashes between Houthi rebels and forces loyal to  former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh, in the city of Taiz. Witnesses said that al-Shaibani was among a group of journalists reporting on the shelling of a factory and had been running for cover when he was hit by sniper fire. The source of the fire was unclear, but al-Shaibani’s colleagues said they believed it came from Houthi fighters.

Join the fight for press freedom

Become an IPI member. For over 75 years, the IPI global network has brought together journalists from around the world who share a commitment to media freedom. Learn how you can join our community of solidarity and professional exchange, all while supporting IPI’s mission.

Become a member

Support our work. IPI is at the forefront of the fight to protect media freedom. By donating to our work, you help ensure journalists can do their jobs freely and safeguard everyone’s right to information.

Support IPI

Latest