Now Hiring: IPI Innovation Projects Manager
The IPI global network is looking for a talented, diverse-skilled ideas person to help expand our support to media innovation and transition globally. This exciting opportunity combines network building, training design, innovation facilitation, media advisory, project management, and communications functions.
This is a brand-new position at IPI that comes as we prepare to launch incubator and accelerator programs and other forms of support for new media and media in transition as they innovate, grow, and become sustainable. It’s a chance to get on board as we grow an important area of our work promoting a healthy, independent media ecosystem.
If you have a creative and experimental mindset mixed with an organizational intelligence that gets things done, then we want to meet up.
We are a member-facing organization – of and for journalists, editors, and publishers – so we’re looking for someone who understands that space and is committed to powering its future.
Be a confident digital native, passionate about the opportunities in front of the world’s media and excited by IPI’s mission to support independent journalism and fight for press freedom.
Be inspired by our potential to drive real-world change, and energized by our mission and the positive social impacts that can flow from our success.
Have at least 3 years of experience in leading or managing a news organization, or in innovation facilitation, audience-centered design, product development, audience research and engagement.
Have experience founding a new media venture or transitioning legacy media and be able to understand the pressures and opportunities for media innovators.
Understand the media environment and recognize the risks and opportunities for new and transitioning media.
Be analytical, with skills in logical reasoning, critical thinking, communication, research, and data analysis.
Be process driven, capable of building and implementing operational structures in a fast changing space.
Be cool, calm, collected, able to manage multiple tasks, working with partners in different locations around the world, facing big challenges, and operating in different time zones
Have a flair for writing, editing, and polishing copy and be able to write in different and engaging styles for different messages and channels. Strong English skills are a must. Additional language skills are a plus.
Be a strategic thinker with fresh ideas about how to engage different audiences in our work in support of sustainable journalism.
Be comfortable working in a diverse and international environment, as well as familiarity with the work and culture of non-governmental organizations.
• Help launch and manage key aspects of IPI’s new incubator and accelerator programs and other immersive training programs to support new media and media in transition as they innovate, grow, and become sustainable.
• Monitor emerging and future opportunities and promote IPI’s innovation work within the media change space.
• Identify and engage newsroom and innovation leaders with our program.
• Work with both transitioning and emerging media organizations to identify needs and opportunities.
• Manage an application and selection process together with a jury to ensure a strong cohort of media for each program.
• Provide strategic advice within your expertise and connections to media and experts.
• Contribute to an events and media program to share and amplify the innovation work
• Manage project implementation, reporting, budget, and accounting
• Other work to expand and support IPI’s innovation program and support to media.
The Innovation Projects Manager will work closely with IPI staff and members and will report to the IPI Head of Network Strategy and Innovation.
The IPI global network has a diverse global membership active in more than 100 countries. We want our staff to reflect this diversity.
IPI has a preference for this position to be based at the IPI headquarters in Vienna, Austria. IPI staff members who work in Vienna are also able to benefit from IPI’s exemption from income tax for Austria-based staff.
How and when to apply
Apply now. We will be interviewing shortlisted candidates as applications are received.
Applicants should provide the following:
• Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and want to work with IPI, how you think you could make a difference in this role (400 words max), and your top three priorities for media innovation.
• Please send your application by email to email@example.com. Please include “Innovation Projects Manager” in the email subject line.
• Current CV, including at least two professional references
Founded in 1950, the International Press Institute (IPI) is a global network of editors, journalists and media executives dedicated to promoting and defending press freedom and independent journalism. IPI members are media professionals representing leading digital, print, and broadcast news outlets in more than 100 countries. The organization’s work is managed by a small professional secretariat in Vienna.