Five editors from South Korea, India, Germany, Malaysia, and Finland were newly elected to the International Press Institute (IPI)’s global Executive Board at the organization’s recent World Congress in Vienna.
The IPI General Assembly at its meeting in Vienna on May 25, 2023 elected as new IPI Board members:
• Juno Bang, Executive Vice President, The Chosun Daily Newspaper, South Korea
• Barkha Dutt, Founder-Editor, Mojo Story, India
• Wolfgang Krach, Editor-in-Chief, Süddeutsche Zeitung, Germany
• Esther Ng Sek Yee, Chief Content Officer, Star Media Group, Malaysia
• Laura Saarikoski, Editor-in-Chief, Premium, Helsingin Sanomat, Finland
At the meeting, IPI members thanked two long-time IPI Executive Board members who stepped down due to reaching their term limits:
• Mahfuz Anam, Editor and Publisher, The Daily Star, Bangladesh
• Riyad Mathew, Chief Associate Editor & Director, Malayala Manorama & The Week, India
“These five exceptional leaders in media and journalism will strengthen IPI’s expertise and outreach across the globe. They will help us develop solutions to the threats and challenges faced by independent media worldwide. Together with the other Executive Board members and the IPI global membership network, they will promote the conditions that allow journalism to fulfil its public function, the most important of which is the media’s ability to operate free from interference and without fear of retaliation.”, said IPI Executive Director Frane Maroević
“We are grateful to Mahfuz Anam and Ryad Mathew for their guidance, support and advice over the years as Executive Board Members. They will always remain part of the IPI community, especially Mr Mathew, who will take on the position as the chair of our India National Committee.”
IPI Executive Board members serve three-year terms, extendable for a second term. See the complete list of Board members.
IPI’s General Assembly is the organization’s highest governing body, composed of all IPI members.