IPI: The Global Network for Media Freedom
WHAT WE DO
The International Press Institute (IPI) is a global network of editors, media executives and leading journalists who share a common dedication to quality, independent journalism. Together, we promote the conditions that allow journalism to fulfill its public function, the most important of which is the media’s ability to operate free from interference and without fear of retaliation.
Our mission is to defend media freedom and the free flow of news wherever they are threatened.
HOW WE WORK
Supported by a professional secretariat in Vienna, IPI works by:
- conducting direct advocacy with governments
- raising awareness on violations of media freedom through news coverage, research and analysis
- leading programmes and campaigns to further change
- offering platforms for cooperation, networking and skills exchange among our members
- promoting high-quality, independent journalism through the development of best practices at the global level
- providing opportunities for dialogue among diverse journalistic communities, in line with IPI’s founding principles
WHO WE ARE
IPI is an association of media professionals representing leading digital, print and broadcast news outlets in nearly 100 countries. Our membership provides the clearest evidence possible of the universality of media freedom and the basic values of journalism.
Thanks to its members, IPI speaks with a unique and powerful voice on behalf of media freedom.
IPI members work cooperatively to shape debate on policies affecting the media and to push back against those seeking to restrict the free flow of news and information in order to protect political, economic or other interests. Equally important, IPI membership offers solidarity in the face of oppression. Throughout its decades-long history, the strength of IPI’s network has shielded journalists from attack or forced violators of media freedom to backtrack amid global exposure of their actions.